- Clone drive to external USB hard disk using EaseUS® Todo Backup Free 4.0*
- Remove old hard drive from laptop and replace with new one.
- Clone old drive image from USB to new laptop hard drive using EaseUS® Todo Backup Free 4.0 (bootable disk).
- Boot from Windows install CD and run system repair to fix master boot record (lost as it can't be sector cloned to USB hard drives).
- Boot from new hard drive into Windows.
- Run chkdsk /r to verify and repair new disk and file system.
* I actually used CloneZilla for this step, as I hadn't yet discovered EaseUS Todo Backup. Image based clones were failing due to the old hard drive physically failing, so a sector-sector clone was completed. CloneZilla could not restore this sector-sector image back from the intermediate drive as it wouldn't clone a 1TB drive back to a 500GB drive (I couldn't find a way to sector clone just the portioned areas of the external drive). EaseUS Todo Backup happily restored only the required partitions back to the new 500GB drive.